Fluky's first started in 1929 on Maxwell and Halsted Streets in Chicago. We carried all the character and romance for which Chicago Street Merchants were famous, and Fluky's reputation as having the best "Hot Dog" in the city started to grow.
In 1932, a second Fluky's was opened, and then in 1935, a third and a fourth in 1936. Fluky's became known for its "Depression Sandwich" - a Hot Dog with mustard, relish, onion, pickles, pepper, lettuce, tomatoes and french fries FOR ONLY $.05!
Fluky's reputation was built on good food, good service and good will through the hard times of the depression. Many youngsters - and adults, too - who didn't have the $.05 were fed anyway.
With the coming of World War II came meat rationing. This made it difficult to get the quality product Fluky's needed, and within a short time, Fluky's closed its doors at three of its locations and the fourth was the only store that was to continue until 1955.
On February 18, 1964 Fluky's again opened its doors, after 9 years of silence. The opening was greeted with a tremendous outpouring of warmth and fondness from thousands who had many fond memories.
In just a few months, Fluky's was the largest Hot Dog stand in the Chicago area. Except Fluky's was no longer a Hot Dog Stand. It was now housed in a large glass-enclosed structure, previously unknown to the Hot Dog industry. Fluky's had made a giant step toward upgrading the Hot Dog business.
On November 2, 1978, a more progressive move was made, and Fluky's brought the Hot Dog into the fast food industry. A new building was purchased, and a beautiful, new, refreshing look for an old and well established business was introduced.